Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Day 3 Mt. Sinai

Climbing up Mt. Sinai

My camel I rode part of the way

Mt. Sinai
Today at daybreak I embarked on a journey that is unforgettable. I had the opportunity to hike up Mt. Sinai. I chose to ride a camel part way, stopping at one of the stations to take in the scenery along the climb to the summit. At the summit of Mt. Sinai there is a small chapel to the Holy Trinity. This chapel was rebuilt in 1934 on the ruins of a 4th-5th century church. The interior of the chapel was decorated with styles that reflected the life of Moses. I got to enjoy a time of praise and unforgettable, breathtaking views of the Sinai wilderness. We read from the book of Genesis remembering that this is the place where Moses met the Lord in the burning bush and where he received the Ten Commandments.  "Then Moses rose early in the morning and went up Mount Sinai, as the Lord had commanded him; and he took in his hand the two tablets of stone" Exodus 34:4.

1 comment:

  1. How long did it take to climb to the summit? Was it a hard climb or easy?

    ReplyDelete